Legendary style blogger Emily Johnston AKA Fashion Foie Gras is the first to admit that she has an addiction that’s anything but healthy when it comes to coats – so we knew who to ask when putting together our guide to the best winter coats for 2016/17. Read on for Emily’s top tips on how to choose the perfect coat for you.
A chic winter coat can save you in any situation. Need to run down to the shops first thing in the morning? Throw on a perfectly polished number over your pyjamas and no one will ever know you’ve just rolled out of bed (just remember to change the slippers).
Winter coats are your best friend, and every women should have at least one at the start of the season. My magic number this year, and I’m just being greedy, is five. There are five winter coats I’m drooling over from purchase to delivery – these are the coats that will serve every purpose during the chillier months. These coats aren’t huge investments, but they’ll make you look like you’re worth a million smackers. They are the winter coats that people will stop you on the streets to enquire after.
Winter coats: getting the right fit
This is THE most important part in buying you winter coat. If you’re unclear of your size when ordering online, be sure to order in additional sizes to make sure you find your perfect fit. Pay attention to width of shoulders and waistline in the coat – these are the areas where I find women make the most mistakes. Remember this: no-one will ever see the number in your coat so buy a size that fits, not a number that will make you feel good. Tear the tag out if you have to – just find a coat that is right for your body shape.
Saying that, make sure you try your selections on with the biggest sweater you’ll wear this winter – I have made that mistake one too many times. We’ve all bought a coat that seemed like it fitted perfectly – only to pull said coat on over a heavy sweater and find that the arms make you look like I’m sporting sausage casings!
With all that in mind, remember that a winter coat, once purchased, can also be jazzed up to suit your personal style. This is the year of the brooch, or many brooches if it so suits your style. Decorate a massive lapel with an assortment of antique or modern statements brooches to give your coat a new look midway through the season.
Fashion Foie Gras’ top 5 winter coats for A/W 2016
1. Polished Perfection – This is what I’ll refer to as the “lady’s coat.’ It’s that coat that pulls everything together and instantly makes you look polished. Grey overcoat with belt detail, £249 at Massimo Dutti.
2. A statement – If you’re looking for a “stand out from the crowd” number, look no further. Lost Ink smart coat with faux fur collar, £110 at ASOS.
3. Oversized parka – This is the coat you throw on for absolutely anything: Shopping, walking, running for the bus. You’re your game, this is the ultimate. Faux shearling lined parka £99.99 at Mango.
4. The colour pop – Every single woman needs a colour pop in their wardrobe. This is the coat you put on that changes the whole course of your day. I call it the “mood enhancer” – for you and everyone around you! V by Very Premium Longline Boyfriend Coat, £90.
5. Faux Fur – A little faux fur goes a long way. This collar is a beautiful and sophisticated way to work the trend. Whistles ‘Erika’ faux fur collar coat, £275 at John Lewis.
All of the items above can be ordered online for click & collect to your nearest CollectPlus store. And if the fit isn’t quite right, don’t forget you can easily send it back using our Returns service.
October 14th 2016 - by @CollectPlus