How to sell on Facebook
- How to sell in a Facebook buy and sell group
- How to sell in a Facebook Marketplace
- Selling on Facebook as a business
- The benefits of selling on Facebook
Selling your unwanted items on Facebook is simple and thanks to recent changes in the way Facebook works, there are now two ways to do it.
Here we look at the different options, providing a few handy tips along the way.
How to sell in a Facebook buy and sell group
- Search for a group. Search for the appropriate Facebook group using the search bar at the top of the page. As a Facebook user, you’re most likely going to be familiar with the numerous groups on site, usually titled something similar to “Stuff for sale in…”.
- Join the group. Once you’ve found the most suitable page, you may be required to request to join the group by clicking on a green button at the top of the page. It’s also a good idea to check any rules for posting before you join.
- Post the item. Once you’re a member of the group, begin by writing a post about the item you’re selling, giving a description of the item, the price you’re looking for and whether you’re prepared to deliver it.
- Submit the post. Finally, attach a photo to your description and submit your post.
Posting a sale is as simple as updating your status, the trick is to post it on the most appropriate group. Buy and sell groups on Facebook tend to be categorised by area, so do a little research before you post to make sure you’re targeting the most appropriate audience.
When selling on these groups, it’s important to bear in mind that you are responsible for payments and delivery. Facebook merely acts as a platform for you to advertise your goods.
How to sell in a Facebook Marketplace
Perhaps due to the popularity of the groups mentioned above, Facebook has created their own marketplace that you can use through its mobile app. While the marketplace is not yet available for desktop, or in fact all app users, users can expect to see it being rolled out in 2017.
What’s different about Facebook’s marketplace is that it’s not limited to merely buying and selling your unwanted items. You can use the marketplace to post about things you might be looking for too, whether that’s a TV or something like a new job.
To sell your item in Marketplace, follow these steps:
- Pick a picture. Take a photo of your item or choose it from your pictures
- Add a description. You can add product information such as a product name, price, location or category.
- Post it.
One aspect of the marketplace that isn’t covered by Facebook is payment and delivery. This responsibility lies with the buyer and seller only, so you’ll need to make sure you take the necessary precautions to ensure you always receive your goods or payments.
Selling on Facebook as a business
As well as selling independently, if you have your own business and would like to sell on Facebook, you can set up a separate page for your company. Building a business page works in a similar way to setting up your personal profile. You’ll need a picture, a short bio about your business, as well as link to your website.
The benefits of selling on Facebook
One of the main benefits to selling on Facebook is that it’s free. You don’t need to pay to join, and you don’t need to pay any proportion of your earnings to Facebook either.
As it’s such a well-known social media site, it’s also really easy to use and familiar to plenty of people. You’ll most likely have plenty of connections on there already, so there’s nothing new to learn in terms of functionality.
You can find out more information about setting up a business page here.
Selling your unwanted items online is a great way to earn a little extra money. Find out more about the different online selling platforms through our useful guides hub.