How to sell on Gumtree
- What is Gumtree?
- How much does Gumtree cost?
- How to place an ad on Gumtree
- How to remove an ad
- Pausing an ad
- What to do when your item has been sold
If you prefer to sell locally, need to get rid of an unwanted item quickly or simply wish to create an ad that won't cost a fortune, turn to Gumtree. The website's huge online reach ensures that, no matter what you're looking to sell, you'll be able to find the perfect buyer in almost no time at all.
Find out more about Gumtree, and how to place an ad online, below.
What is Gumtree?
Gumtree launched in Australia in 2000, but quickly became the UK's number one classified ads website. Over 16.4 million visitors now flock to Gumtree every month, and sellers can take advantage of the company's huge online audience.
All kinds of items and services can be advertised on Gumtree. Affordable, easy to use and accepting all kinds of sellers, the website is popular for good reason. While you won't be able to create your own storefront, or establish a brand like you can on Etsy or Preloved, it is better suited for anyone wishing to sell unwanted household goods or any number of different items.
Gumtree's live chat also offers support to sellers while they advertise with the company online.
How much does Gumtree cost?
The majority of ads on Gumtree are free to place. However, there are a few exceptions. If you are a business, dealer, agent or landlord you should expect to be charged for your ad. For private sellers simply listing items, ads should be free.
Ads created in the following categories may also incur a small charge:
There is no set cost per category, however. Ads for volunteering jobs and childcare services, for example, are always free.
To work out if you will incur a charge when creating an ad on Gumtree, make sure to check the total at the bottom of the 'Post an ad' page. Adding features, such as placing your ad on Gumtree's homepage, will raise the price.
How to place an ad on Gumtree
To place an ad with Gumtree, you must be a member of the website. It's free to join, and you can sign up with a Google account or use an email address.
Don't forget to double check Gumtree's posting rules before listing an item. There are particular restrictions concerning the sale of pets, property, motors and jobs, alongside a list of banned items and strict guidelines on the re-sale of tickets.
Once you've signed up and made sure you're selling legally, placing an ad is quick and, usually, free:
- Post an ad: To begin your advert, select 'Post an ad'. You'll find this in the top right-hand corner of the Gumtree homepage.
- Choose a category: The next step involves choosing an appropriate category and sub-category for your ad to be placed in. Be as accurate as you can, it'll help buyers find your ad easily.
- Enter your postcode: Gumtree will then ask for your postcode. This won't show up on your ad, but it will help Gumtree to organise all ads by location.
- Enter the details of your ad: Once you've entered your postcode, you'll notice a form appear underneath. Gumtree have made creating an ad easy, and you will be able to enter a title, short and long description and up to nine images of your item. Sellers will have the choice to include a YouTube link for free, or a website link for an additional £5.
- Set a price: Pick a price for your item. Many Gumtree buyers like to negotiate, so consider this when deciding on a cost.
- Choose how buyers can contact you: All sellers must provide at least one way for buyers to contact them. You can choose to add your email, phone number or both to your ad.
How to remove an ad
If you've sold your item, or no longer wish to advertise it on Gumtree, you can remove your ad. The removal takes effect immediately, and the ad will not be visible to buyers.
To remove an ad from Gumtree, you must:
- Open 'My Gumtree', located along the navigation bar
- Select 'Manage my Ads'
- Click 'Delete' on the ad you wish to take offline
- Your ad will then move to 'Inactive ads'
- If you'd like to re-list the ad, just visit 'Inactive ads' and press 'restore the ad'
Pausing an ad
Every Gumtree ad has a specific lifespan, and when you choose to edit an existing ad it instantly becomes 'paused'. This means you won't lose out on any advertising time while you make changes - even if you leave the ad in edit mode for several days - but it will be removed from Gumtree's website temporarily.
Once you have finished editing, the ad will reappear online with the same amount of time remaining as it had before you pressed edit.
What to do when your item has been sold
Congratulations, you've sold your item. If you've arranged for it to be picked up, choose a location to meet the buyer and always follow Gumtree's advice on selling safely.
If you are planning on shipping your item to the buyer, make sure you receive payment first. Then, choose your preferred delivery method and ask for a tracking code. When sending a parcel with CollectPlus, for example, all sellers will receive a code that can be used online. This way, sellers can locate their parcel every step of the way and provide solid proof of its delivery in the case of a dispute.
Don't forget to remove your ad from Gumtree after it has been sold too, to prevent other buyers from contacting you.
If Gumtree doesn't sound like the right website for you, why not take a look at our other useful selling guides - you'll find advice about all major selling platforms, including eBay, Amazon and Shopify.